Breaking News: The Game Ends in One Week

by MonopolyHQ on December 2, 2009 · 10 comments

Breaking News: The Game we’ve loved to the point of complete frustration is ending in one week – December 9th.

Here’s the post from the original blog

We want to thank you, the loyal players, for making MONOPOLY City Streets a huge success. We know it’s been said many times, but it bears repeating – we are surprised, thrilled and honored with your response to this promotional introduction for the MONOPOLY City board game.

However, MONOPOLY City Streets game play will officially end on Wednesday, December 9.

We hope that you will enjoy spending the next several days negotiating, buying, selling and building right up until game play ends on December 9. And after the game ends, check out MONOPOLY City board game where you can continue building industrial complexes, skyscrapers or stadiums and sabotage your friends!

Thank you all for your passion and enthusiasm for MONOPOLY City Streets!

I’ll be posting last week strategies and reflections here shortly.

What’s your response so far?

1 Brian W. December 2, 2009 at 2:33 pm

At this point, I think I might as well just attack the snot out of random people just for fun.

2 Crodol December 2, 2009 at 5:30 pm

I am really HAPPY about that!
Although I love the game, the last few weeks there was nothing to do (except log in/out) with all the streets gone!

3 David December 2, 2009 at 6:04 pm

I guess it is because they want people to stop playing and buy the actual board game for Christmas…

4 Abel December 2, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Tend to agree here, though somehow my feeling says people won’t buy more real board game because of earlier termination of online one, and those who really want to buy it won’t hesitate even if online version is extended. That is, I don’t think Hasbro’s expectation works.

But this is a bit too early, one of my streets can’t be maxed when the game ends, too bad. (In fact it can’t be completely filled even after 1 yr later…)

5 harpski December 3, 2009 at 4:53 am

And how bloody typical is it that the site isn’t working….

6 WNC Monopoly December 3, 2009 at 6:35 am

I should have expected this kind of treatment from the game developers. I don’t think they ever really gave the players any consideration.

I have really enjoyed playing when I wasn’t being screwed over by the arbitrary rules changes and mucking with the game mechanics.

I’m interested in seeing your thoughts about strategies…mine was focused on stopping building Monopoly Towers because of the 20 day ROI in early January. That’s shot all to hades with this latest piece of arbitrariness.

I’m glad that I’ve saved screenshots of my daily play since the beginning. I’ll at least have a scrapbook. I will not be buying the game from Hasbro.

7 suleman December 3, 2009 at 11:50 am

Is it every gonna be back or is it gone for good..

The board game is no way as fun, you cant play with your friends across the world..

8 Cristan December 3, 2009 at 4:18 pm

I think it was time. There are a lot of players out there who have maxed out their streets already, so I have to agree with them to stop now. As for tactics: you can now perfectly calculate on whether things are profitable now you know the end date. For example: buying a streets for 20 billion really isn’t going to pay itself back in just a week. Hell, I even put my second largest city up for sale, hoping that a poor fellow who doesn’t know math will buy it for a high price :D .

9 MonopolyHQ December 8, 2009 at 9:58 am

Thanks for the comments folks – I ended up not getting a chance to post final tips, but really how much could any of us have done? Just posted some final thoughts on the game though now that it’s just about over, would love your input.

10 Calvin Davis Jr July 28, 2017 at 12:06 am

I AM one of the CHOSEN/LOYAL.players that had the privilege of engaging in “ONE OF THE BIGGEST LAND GRAB OF THE CENTURY”, however I AM perplexed as to why your CORPORATION has not released the results of the game PUBLICLY…it’s “8″ yrs later and I AM STILL WAITING..

Sincerely,

KWADWO KOJO
A.K.A. Dwyz3Man

P.S. WHO IS YOUR CEO? and WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS CORPORATION?

YOUR EXPEDITIOUS RESPONSE IS REQUIRED..