What to do when you’ve been sabotaged

by MonopolyHQ on September 24, 2009 · 13 comments

Depending on a few factors, right now most of you should be making at least 10-30 million dollars.

But what if you’re one of the unlucky few who got slammed because you were on your local leaderboard and logged into find you’ve only got the piddly million everyone gets each day?

1. If you’ve only got 1-3 million to spare, do not buy a street.
2. Build up on what you have if you’ve got space on streets, place as many green houses as possible. This way you can have the most opportunities at digging yourself out of this hole with a bonus building.
3. Clear your own hazards before seeking vengeance.
4. If you manage to clear your hazards, but don’t get a bonus building, at least try and fill up streets so there’s no room for hazards to be placed.
5. Find out of your attacker is a cheater – report them if so.
6. Decide if you want to retaliate or lay low. Odds are you won’t have much the next day or two to fight back, but if they’re a constant threat, make sure your allies know. They’ll know what to do.

1 Catchmeifyoucan September 24, 2009 at 11:27 am

I personally have been discarding the sabotage cards until a) all my streets are full of buildings with no spaces available, or b) I have (1) bonus building on all my streets.
I have ran into one person in my area that is destroying bonus buildings and stacking them on his streets for insurance pruposes I guess. Kind of annoying unless you can form some sort of team or ally to attack the same street.

2 Macavenger September 24, 2009 at 12:13 pm

One thing that I have been doing ever since I got sabotaged is a) getting as many high-value streets as I can tax-free (5), and b) developing them all evenly so no one street is a “killer” should it be sabotaged in the future. Each of my streets are currently bringing in at least 4.3mil, so unless all five streets are sabotaged (which would require ten chance cards) I’ll still have enough income the following day to (hopefully) recover. At least a couple of my streets are a bit to long to reasonably consider filling (yet), so I don’t have that added protection, but at least I don’t have to worry too much about being left with just the paltry 1mil anymore, unless someone cheats or several people gang up on me.

3 M8R-u83sjc September 24, 2009 at 2:01 pm

1) Build at least 3 bonus buildings on every street you own
2) Buy streets with price >2-5M – they’re long and have many space to build (i’ve bought one for 34M :)
3) Build grid buildings mostly when you have space

4 W.Tucker September 24, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Interesting, I was hitting a dry spell with chance cards. We’re talking really dry: 30 something buildings AGAIN with no chance card… I decided to delete my cookies. Restarted the router and voila, 6 houses later I had obtained 3 chance cards. I’m not one to buy into conspiracies but I am crying conspiracy here folks. Try it out next ‘dry spell’ you have…

5 simon September 26, 2009 at 8:03 am

i’m pretty sure this was just luck
i got 3 penalty chance cards in a row (consecutive actions) totalling 7m
i also built over 200 houses before receiving my first chance card with a bonus building in it.

6 anonymous September 25, 2009 at 5:53 am

-always have a good sized street full of green houses. That way you can sell them and buy them back to try for more chance cards.
-Always loh in about 2 hours before payday to check to see if you are sabotaged, and start with the green house turn around to get yourself back good for payday.
-try to keep some cash on hand unless the nasty 80% chance card has taken it all from you, so you can build green houses on a street to help get chance cards.

If you keep getting enough green houses you will get chance cards sooner or later to be able to help you place that bonus building to cancel out all the hazards until payday so you can actually clear them away.

If you don’t have room for a bonus building, you can sell other buildings on the street to make room. Better to have some income and a lost building or two, than a street with hazards that gives no income from any building on it.

7 Scion September 25, 2009 at 8:53 am

I would like to point out that the strategy of filling a street with buildings is currently flawed.

at the moment regardless of how many hazards have been placed on your street building a single bonus building will return it to profitability.

so if you have a street that is full and someone has buldozed your bonus and replaced it with a hazard then the only chance card that will return it to profitability is a demolish. hwever if you have some spare space on the street then both a demolish and a bonus building can return it to profitability.

In my books it pays to keep your streets protected with a bonus and enough space to be able to place a new one should you be sabotaged.

8 Scion September 25, 2009 at 9:11 am

I should mention that i am aware that filing a street with green houses means that in order to place a hazard the attacker has to first buldoze two adjoining houses, but my argument still stands the aim is to be able to return the street to profitability as quickly and with as little fuss as possible preferably with just seconds to spare before the rent cacluation.

9 MonopolyHQ September 25, 2009 at 9:17 am

Bonus buildings is definitely the way to go and if I’ve got 2 or 3 on a street, I wouldn’t be building green houses – but if you’ve got a street at capacity, and seconds till rent, there’s no quicker way adding a layer of protection than just slapping down another house.

i just find i get far far more destroy building cards than bonus cards. but yes, if i do happen to get a bonus card, i instantly switch strategies and return it to profitability, even with the hazard there.

10 simon September 26, 2009 at 8:08 am

Or…
i could fill them with green houses and then if i got 2 houses demolished and a sabotage built (3 bad things) i would be back to normal again with
1) a demolition card to destroy the hazard
2) a bonus building (i can simply sell 2 green houses for 25k each and still build
the bonus on my previously full street)

i’ll admit for extra security a combination of both is better (and bonuses are certainly better if you have expensive buildings that could be destroyed)

11 TJ September 25, 2009 at 10:15 am

My problem is that when rent pays out I’m at work and since I’m top of my local leaderboard people decide to sabotage me minutes before payout so I don’t get as much as I should. Last night I log in after work and I have about 8 messages saying this guy and that guy had destroyed buildings on my streets and sabotaged them, then as I’m building more buildings I get two chance cards that between them take $11m from me. Then after spending $6m on houses (mainly green houses) I get one bonus card, put it on the street with 3 hazards and within minutes one of the guys has destroyed and put another hazard on the street.

My local area isn’t even a particularly populous area but if I keep getting sabotaged like this (I don’t retaliate whenever I get demo cards, but I might as well now) there’s no point in me playing the game.

12 Micah September 25, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I am at the top of my local leader board, so it is not wise to use my chance cards offensively. I know I am a potential target, so I usually just discard the attack cards. But I think it is important to retaliate when I have been attacked. I don’t bother with people who use a single card against me, because I assume it wasn’t a planned effort to hurt me, and I’d rather not create a situation with another player that I have to deal with in the future. However, if someone attacks me on more than one occasion, I use all of my attack cards on that player to send them a message not to mess with me. So far, it has worked, and kept serious attackers from coming back to hurt me further.

13 MonopolyHQ September 27, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I’m with you on not always being on the offense… in terms of attacking back on constant aggressors.. just be sure they’re not part of a larger network… or have extra time on their hands…