This just in: Rent multiplier gone!

by MonopolyHQ on September 21, 2009 · 37 comments

I was about to post some more awesome tips and strategies, when it looks like word is out that they have taken out the rent multiplier for streets over a million dollars.

Needless to say this is a huge change in strategy for people, and an awful waste of time for those who’ve invested in tweaking their game play. Changing the rules of a game mid-way and then unannounced on top of that is just about as bad as the hundreds of active cheaters in the game. This is going to be horrendous PR for Monopoly City Streets.

My only hope is that this is a momentary glitch. Send your ‘fan mail’ to the official site, their official email monopolycitysts@gmail.com, and their twitter account http://twitter.com/monopolycitysts.

This needs to get fixed, changed immediately. I’m not sure how much fans can handle another reset.

1 W.Tucker September 21, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Wow……major suckage for those of us who have been striving for the $10, $20, $30 million dollar streets…. I guess now its all about the length of your street? But what about all the millions and millions people have made already? Not really fair….

2 W.Tucker September 21, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Also….I just built about 33 houses and not ONE chance card appeared!! What do you think is going on there? My girlfriend is reporting similar problems…

3 On Vacation September 21, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I just realized that something else is working differently – I was unable to reload the game by refreshing the screen this evening; I had to go to a different web site and then go back to monopolycitystreets. Perhaps the game has been hacked? I hope this is the case rather than MCS changing the rules unannounced, although having weak security allowing the game to be hacked would be bad enough. But if that’s the case, they need to take it down NOW. They’ve been notified multiple times via email, blog comments, and Twitter; so they should know about this by now.

4 please September 21, 2009 at 9:34 pm

After many hours of building up my account to be level 5, 300 000 000 MP$ in the bank, number 1 on the national leader board, this rule change has convinced me that I should stop wasting my time and get back to doing some real work.

But rather than abandon my account, I’d like to pass it onto someone who will carry on. If you want the account, please contact me at pleasehavemymonopolyaccount@gmail.com with your monopoly user name and I’ll choose the 7th person to reply to take over and send them the login and password for the account.

Have fun,

5 please September 22, 2009 at 7:54 am

Offer is still open….

6 Anonymous September 21, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Seems many people are making good use of this advertisement game, and see it as the quality of HASBRO products and will be skipping buying any this coming holiday season. I wonder if this is reverse psychology by HASBRO to make people spend less so their winter quarter earnings are down? I for one will not be buying any HASBRO products if this is the level of quality you get today considering the credit card version of the board game today only serving to teach children how to go into debt so the country can never comeback from the recession.

7 MindObserver September 21, 2009 at 10:21 pm

The rent system we had for those three days was boneheaded. I bought a $10M road yesterday and was therefore about to multiply my wealth by 10X every single day. I would have $(10^18) by October. $(10^80) by New Years’ Eve, about the same number as there are electrons in the universe.

This new rent system is boneheaded too, but just not so obscene. If they had it from the start, the game would still be interesting this week. A slow struggle to gain wealth would be much more exciting in the long term. But with the change midstream, there are some players already wealthy, some like me on the verge of great wealth, and many poorer players who will struggle for weeks to accumulate what I collected on day two.

I wrote on the blog (that supposedly the developers were reading) that they ought to do an open beta test with their new rules and cheat preventions before going live. I was disappointed that they didn’t and thought it showed incredible confidence in their own abilities. Now I realize it was just stupidity. (Or this is the beta and we just weren’t told.)

8 Anon September 22, 2009 at 2:12 am

I quit playing !

Changing the rules in the mid of a game shows me that it is a total waste of time waiting for long streets.

My little daughter was so happy to own a street with a multiplier of 4.9 and now she earns 1.0 of the rent without notice, without warning.

This game is totally crap and not worth spending a second more of my time

9 xavi September 22, 2009 at 3:37 am

that’s unfair! a whole week wasted! and I badly sold 30 streets to purchase a 10M street. That’s strategy and now is gone.

that sucks

10 Itnain September 22, 2009 at 9:54 am

I quit too.

they ruined great idea of a game. 2nd restart is not an option(too many ppl will leave if they restart again), leaving changes is not an option(for ppl who made it for 1 best street they could afford). going back to what it was – not an option too as income has to be recounted, ppl who didn’t have anything would cry for leaving changes etc.
so bb all.

11 MindObserver September 22, 2009 at 10:05 am

I found a couple reports of big bugs in rent calculation yesterday:

This guy was looking at a single street worth $3.81 x 10^26 per day with seven buildings. The text was also in German though the blog is in English.

So is there a chance that the rent reversion is just an emergency fix to the rent calculation bug?

12 MonopolyHQ September 22, 2009 at 10:08 am

Hey folks, I’m still a big believer in the game. But the development team really needs to get their act together. I’m still hoping it’s just a glitch, but totally understand if you want to bail out now. I’m still holding out on logging in for the day hoping that things get fixed up.

If not, we’ll all have to make due, but any level of response from the official team would be nice.

13 TJ September 22, 2009 at 10:20 am

I think people are upset mainly because they got a taste of making some real money and now it appears as though they’re losing out. If they had just left the rent as it was after the restart (as it is now) then chances are nobody would be quite as upset as they are now. I too hope it’s a bug, but even if it’s not I’ll still continue to play the game. The people who really want to play it and aren’t in it just to cheat and destroy people will stay on.

On a side note, the 5 street tax rule; If I have 5 streets, sell one so that I have 4 and then purchase another taking me back up to 5 but my 6th total, do I get taxed? Or is it only if you have more than 5 streets at a time?

14 Top Hat Cat September 22, 2009 at 10:48 am

I believe you are only taxed when you log in and collect rent. So you could go to up to 6 or 7 streets, and as long as you sell them before the next day, you should be ok.

I don’t know this for a fact, but is suspect as much.

Enjoy!

15 TJ September 22, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Hmmm……so I can buy and sell hundreds of streets over the course of the game but if I have 6 or more at a time I get taxed on them?

16 Itnain September 22, 2009 at 12:58 pm

The problem is not cheating,but the fact that somebody had time to get huge amount of money using huge rents, and others now – don’t have this chance, so the game is not equal for everyone now. it’s almost unreal now for beginner to reach tops (top not cheaters, just ppl who received more than 1000% from each building on expensive street) .

17 Annie September 22, 2009 at 12:07 pm

man this really sucks…
Despite the rent multiplier gone, the super $$$$ streets are the long ones aren’t they. So if it’s one of the first 5 streets we buy will it still be worth it because of their length?

18 Brian September 22, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Anyone find it odd that the official twitter account (@Monopolycitysts) has been silent for so long? They used to tweet 18 hours a day and also on weekends. But now the most direct voice from the owners of the game are silent.

19 Ms. Behaves September 22, 2009 at 1:25 pm

I’m pissed the rent changed mid-game. But I wouldn’t be nearly as pissed if there was some sort of announcement from the game. ANY kind of announcement. A blog post, a tweet, a message on the main page of the game before logging in. SOMETHING.

Instead, what do we get? Complete silence. Like, silence where there was none before. The rents changed mid-game, and suddenly no tweets from the official Twitter in over 24 hours (where they used to tweet most of the day), and no blog post. Nothing. Did someone hack into the game and put everyone at Hasbro in jail?

It just seems like they’re scared to answer any questions or make any announcements. And honestly, it’s their SILENCE that’s angering me more than the rent change. The lower rents I can be ok with — it makes the game more challenging, after all. Yes, it’s somewhat unfair to those who didn’t play the first few days and missed the opportunity to collect huge rents (but that’s kind of realistic–IRL, those who get in on the ground floor usually make the most money), and it killed my plans — I was about to purchase a $15M street with the $30M I was supposed to collect in rent, then I earned just $10M instead.

But again, I don’t mind being challenged–I’ll just get that $15 M street tomorrow. What I probably won’t get tomorrow is any kind of announcement from the game.

I’d just like to know, who the hell is running this thing, anyway? I can’t believe Google has anything to do with it beyond providing the Maps API. I just can’t imagine Google being behind what is quickly becoming an EPIC FAIL. Hasbro needs to step up and SAY SOMETHING.

20 MonopolyHQ September 22, 2009 at 1:51 pm

their blog was just updated with an announcement pending addressing the rent issue.

And Ms. Behaves, I highly doubt google has anything to do with this besides providing mapping info. Hasbro clearly didn’t know what they were getting into when they launched this.

21 TJ September 22, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I have hope that it’ll change back as they addressed the rent situation as an “issue” as opposed to a rule change. Hopefully their definition of “more to come shortly” is within a few hours.

22 CitrusBlog.net September 22, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Monopoly City Streets Cheat:

23 ScottBlogs September 22, 2009 at 3:37 pm

I am soooo done with Monopoly City Streets. The cheaters are one thing, but what bugs me is this rent change. I can acknowledge that the math would screw up the whole game in a matter of weeks, but this is something they should have fixed BEFORE the reset – its a total joke. Now everything I worked for maxing out my $6,000,000 street with properties (rent was $120,000,000) has dropped the rent down to around $15,000,000. WTF? That is a huge difference. If I knew they were going to do this I would have bought 6 x 1 million dollar streets instead, now good luck finding a 1mill street.

This game has been fun, but totally frustrating as well, now to the point where the fun is gone – I give up, I quit, This isnt for me.

24 MonopolyHQ September 22, 2009 at 4:24 pm

in case you’re subscribed and you haven’t heard yet, the official update is out. time for a new strategy.

25 W.Tucker September 22, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Still, no one has heard me out about the chance cards…. Yesterday I built 36 green houses on a street. I didn’t get ONE chance card. Not one bad, not one good, not ANY. Somethings wrong and I feel like they may have changed the payout settings for chance cards with this new rent change… Anyone notice this themselves?

26 MonopolyHQ September 22, 2009 at 4:26 pm

actually yes, i think i may have commented elsewhere on it. chance cards have severely dipped for me as well. they come, but way less… especially the needed bonus buildings.

27 ScottBlogs September 22, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I had a chance card – a bad one – took $26,000,000 in taxes! WTF is that! It was almost ALL the cash I had made over nigth, then with the new rent structure, it totally SCREWED my game.

28 W.Tucker September 22, 2009 at 5:47 pm

yeah I FINALLY got two….in a row oddly enough. One gave me a prison, useless to me because at this point I dont want to cause a war with someone and would rather collect what measly rent I still receive. The second chance card took about 60% of my current cash. That blew my mind. Usually I would get the bad luck chance cards and it would take a minuscule amount but not this time…. Not liking the new rules :(

29 Anonymous September 22, 2009 at 6:14 pm

You getting chance cards isn’t really important when as you say a cheater gets many and hazards you all day long to where you cannot get out of them without selling off everything for a complete loss of income, and the rent multiplier gone, means you can never come back. Other than issues with running the game, the entire design is flawed since there is more times you will get hosed by your own or “enemy” chance cards than you could ever be gifted by your own chance cards, because there are more fines and hazard chance cards given than any other type.

30 MonopolyHQ September 22, 2009 at 10:50 pm

in my experience there hasn’t been more chance cards with fines than beneficial ones… it could just be a very bad string of luck for you. Chance cards have for the most part been beneficial, though i’ll admit they good ones are tougher to get than they use to be.

31 MonopolyHQ September 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm

that’s crazy – were you able to correlate how it taxed you that much? typically i’ve found they’ll tax me as much as a third of what i have… did you have triple of that on hand? or maybe yours was due to the property you owned? I’d love to know what the worst that can happen is…

32 Citrusblog.net September 24, 2009 at 8:47 am

Monopoly City Streets Cheat + Tutorial (How to cheat):

33 Scion September 25, 2009 at 8:43 am

Personally i very much doubt that the rent multiplier was specifically added, what is much more likely is that prior to the reset the rent was also being calculated on the initial cost of the street. The initial cost of the street must be being stored since it is required if you sell the street back to the bank.

The point being they changed the initial cost of roads to be bassed on the length so that the initial cost was more inline with the potential for development. This seems reasonable and is a good improvement to the game. However while making the change the knock on effect on the rent calculation was simply not considered (possibly because a differnt developer did it, or it was done in too much haste) And during testing they probably just tested did spot testing to see that the street prices were being calculated according to length.

So I guess im in the minortiy when it comes to agreeing with re-introduction of the rent multiplier cap in the current game. (or in my books fixing the un-intended bug that they introduced with the street price change)

Whilst i think they should have introduced the fix earlier than they did i also understand why they did it without notification. In my books doing it without notification was the fairest approach. Had they announced the change then they would have had to have waited at least one rental caclulation using the multiplier, so that people could react to the change otherwise half could have fixed and half would have been stuck, and bassed on my and others expectations of what we were going to achieve on that next rent calculation it would have completely destabilised the game….who wants to play againes 100 thousand billionaires?

In fact in my opinion the current rental returns are way to high. I would prefer a higher initial float and a much smaller base rental return. with a modifier based on density…but thats a different topic.

34 MonopolyHQ September 25, 2009 at 8:58 am

I hear you on the unannounced concept being more fair – any rule change is going to feel unfair to some folks – this was on that definitely didn’t seem fair to most though. They should have immediately posted on the changes in the game after the update rather than having for a thousand people commenting and tweeting about the outrage though.

The more I play the more I think the rental returns are too high as well. But we’ve all gotten use to it and anything lower seems weird. But it does seem unusual that you can recover the full price of your purchase with simply a day of rent. I’ll be playing out this current round of monopoly no matter what – but I’m still hoping for plenty of updates the next time around.

35 MindObserver September 25, 2009 at 9:42 am

I agree that the rent multiplier for >$1M roads was way too high. But I believe the correct responses were:

A) Revert to flat rents above $1M and immediately* announce the change.
B) Announce that the game will be reset again in X hours/days with the new rental rates.
Or, C) Admit that the live game is in BETA and will continue to change without notice or explanation until going gold upon a certain date or target.

I feel that reverting the rents and continuing the game makes it less interesting since it left some lucky/quick players with extra money that the rest of the players will never get so easily.

But the bigger problem is that there are known to be other ways that players got very wealthy. Not only multiaccounting, but the trick of offering a trade with negative cash. In my eyes, all of the superwealthy are under suspicion of these various cheats and exploits. I have a score of $140M, twice as high as 2nd place on my local leaderboard. I can see how someone might legitimately have 2 or 4 times that, but not a 1000 times more.

I’m doing well and I believe some of the unpredictability is realistic. But I think the game needs another reset (after more bugs are ironed out) to clear away all the ill effects of broken rent multipliers, trade exploits, and cheats.

36 Scion September 25, 2009 at 10:42 am

@MonopolyHQ, MindObserver,

Yes your right about the notification after wards…it should have been on within minutes of rental update….that to me is where they dropped the ball on that one..

and wrt current scores i tend to have to agree with you mind observer. im more or less around that level as well and i did fairly well in the first few days….although i missed that multiplier on the first payout because i was ‘fixated’ on the restart strategy that i had worked out (I didnt buy the longest street possible rather went for one just on the 1kk mark that i was able to fill that day) and i also didnt go whole hog and sell everything after payout and rebuild again on a higher multiplier.

although given that i missed that first day im unsure how much more i would have been able to achieve.

37 MonopolyHQ September 27, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I’m right there with you guys, I’ve had my ups and downs, but I can’t see no matter how much you tweak your game, how some people have made it that far onto the leaderboard… it seems like we’re playing a completely different game from the ‘cheaters’…