Strategy for day two

by MonopolyHQ on September 18, 2009 · 28 comments

It’s day two of Monopoly City Streets.

If you followed yesterday’s strategy, you should find yourself earning 2-4 million dollars when you log in. (Btw, I just want to reiterate that this site is only committed to clean, ethical, legit gameplay, it’s unbelievable the number of obvious cheaters that have gamed the system already).

If you have a few million to play with I’d recommend you either

1. Pick up a really good hot street that’s about 3 million that no one else was able to pick up yet. Spend the rest of your cash putting up small properties on this street with the greatest multiplying rent.

or

2. Max out your current current street. If you’ve got an incredibly long street one trick is to put houses on every other cone. This gives you more shots at a bonus building (though I must add I’ve yet to get one), and fills your street up just enough so that a hazard can’t fit anywhere on your street. If someone wants to really sabotage you they need to both destroy a property and add a hazard which should be quite difficult.

The other unfortunate scenario as you log in, is you find that someone has added some hazards to your street and you find yourself with only a measly million to play with.

It’ll be okay. If this is the case, I wouldn’t bother trying to buy another street. Continue filling up your street, and pray for a hazard removal card. They come up often, and you should be able to hopefully remove the hazard, and protect your street for the next day and earn a full days rent off your loaded street.

Do you have other tips or suggestions for day two? I’d love to hear’em.

1 T September 19, 2009 at 7:14 am

dam fekin cheats.

i could have had 3.5 mill in rent however i sabotaged the streets of manny.

the prick then made a new account mannny and sabotaged me.

now the street that i wanted has gone. lets start an alliance against this prick.

sabotage manny and mannny

2 MonopolyHQ September 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm

That’s the continued problem with the game and multiple accounts.. argh.

I’ve started discarding some of my bulldozer / hazard cards… it gets a bit too dangerous sometimes!

3 Puppy September 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Too bad I can’t directly search for names to help you. Where’s manny/mannny located?

4 nsomos September 20, 2009 at 12:08 am

Puppy wrote “Too bad I can’t directly search for names to help you. ”

Sure you can. Just go to “leaderboard”, pick Friends, and then if you
have not yet filled all ten spots, click on ‘add an opponent to spy on’,
and then type in the name you are interested in.

If you have filled in all ten, then remove one at least temporarily
in order to do this search.

5 MonopolyHQ September 20, 2009 at 9:19 am

that’s a great tip that not everyone’s aware of. it’s not the greatestt user interface.

6 MindObserver September 19, 2009 at 9:48 am

If you’re going to buy a new street, I believe the best strategy is to spend half your cash on the street and half on improvements.

Whether to buy a new street or improve an old one is a toss-up on day two. I nearly filled my day one street, so I went ahead and got another.

Beginning on day three you should be earning more than the $3M you started with, so I think it becomes essential to start building on longer streets with bigger rent multipliers.

I drew a few hazard cards and was torn on rather to play them against my competitors (and risk retaliation) or just discard them. I decided to play one on an undeveloped but high profile road. The others I played on one of the world leaderboard players, figuring that he’d have enough enemies that he wouldn’t single me out for retaliation.

7 MonopolyHQ September 19, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Yup, the leaderboard’s a great place to go to use those cards – often i find all their streets are already hazards… my problem is so many of them are up there cheating, i’m hoping hasbro just deletes them asap rather than me wasting cards on them.

8 SuperX September 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm

My strategy is to ask a friend to buy of my first day streets that worth 3m dollar…
so that I got a total of 6.8m cash to buy a 5m street and 1.8m greenhouse….
and i just received 10m rent from the streets….that i now can feel up the whole 5m street…

9 MonopolyHQ September 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm

I assume you mean somehow you’re combining the cash/property with your friend? It’s not against the rules in anyway, but you can see how if someone really wants to go crazy they can get a super fast start beyond the rest of us.

I suppose at some point we’ll all need alliances anyways, and some folks will just fold their game and it might as well not go to waste.

10 nsomos September 19, 2009 at 11:59 pm

I suggest being patient with cheaters. If those who run the game
remove the cheaters too early, then the cheaters will just come
back without having lost too much time or money. If cheaters
are only dealt with after a week or two, it will give honest people
some time to build up resources, to be ahead of the cheaters
should the cheaters come back after initial removal.

I also noticed lots of sabotaging of the streets of the fellow who
had over 700 streets owned (GUMMIWURST). This is silly,
in that taxes on 700 streets means he LOSES money on any
street that ‘earns rent’. So actually NOT sabotaging his streets
will hurt him far worse. With 700 streets he pays 10 times as
much in taxes than anything he otherwise ‘earns’.

Since cheaters will be dealt with, there is no reason to
risk retaliation by trying to sabotage a cheater.

I also want to mention, that there is no need to use only every
other cone in order to leave room for a bonus building once
the opportunity arises. As long as you are building cheap
buildings, if you have a bonus opportunity, but no space,
you can sell one or more of your cheap buildings back to
make space for the bonus building when the opportunity
has arisen. Having a street fully built up with no more
building opportunities, is as good as having one bonus
building on that street. Anyone would have to bulldoze
one or more buildings to fit in a hazard. This is especially
so if you have only built the cheapest structures, as the
cheapest one fits more closely than any other structure.
Selling back a cheap building or two is a small price to pay
to be able to place a bonus building on an otherwise full street.

11 MonopolyHQ September 20, 2009 at 9:22 am

Yeah, I’m just trusting that cheaters will eventually be taken care of.

In terms of my every other cone strategy, i hear you, and it’s up for debate – I was not saying to put a house every other cone in order to leave room for a bonus building – but that you might have one more factor stopping someone from putting a hazard on your street IF you can’t score a bonus building. I’ve had my challenges in the game, and I think a maxed out street has prevented some potential bulldozing/hazards.

and yes, I fully intend to sell the cheap houses when need be. Except I find this early in the game, at least for us non-cheaters, maximizing our return rather than going for the big buildings is the best strategy.

12 MonopolyHQ September 20, 2009 at 9:29 am

woops, let me clarify that. I meant it’s to prevent hazards if you don’t have a bonus building. because as far as i can tell you can’t fit a hazard in the 1-cone-space between two houses. so it’s an effective way of covering your entire street.

Having a street filled with houses/cottages every other cone or a bonus building requires an enemy to get a bulldozer card AND then a hazard to really take your rent away. So hopefully not an easy maneuver.

13 littleoslo September 20, 2009 at 5:29 am

it doesnt seem linked streets got special effect on rent value this time, it doesnt mention on the new guide. what do you think?

14 Legor September 20, 2009 at 5:54 am

No it doesnt have a effect at all if your streets are linked. In fact this wasnt the case in the first launch either.

You can read about it in the official FAQ:

15 littleoslo September 20, 2009 at 6:02 am

They have mentioned in their “first” FAQ , on google doc, not the blog version. Anyway, now they changed it to :
Q: Does owning streets that are connected to each other have any special power/rent opportunity?
A: No.

Too bad -.-

16 MonopolyHQ September 20, 2009 at 9:23 am

yup, it’s unfortunate. The whole point of monopoly is to get full control of a particular section of the board. I’m really really hoping they make this change next time around. It can’t be that hard to do.

17 Legor September 20, 2009 at 9:39 am

I would prefer this too since it will make smaller streets more desirable and it may reward the effort of gaining control over a whole town/area. Right now it’s kind of just clicking around the world and look for a unoccupied street thats over 1 Million.

18 T September 20, 2009 at 5:47 pm

manny is in leeds
mannny is in tower hamlets

you can search them if you add them to your friends.

the leader board sucks.

i got to the top of ym leader board (honestly and not by cheating) and sum prick put a prison on my most valuable st.

safe to say he’s my new target. manny + mannny ur of the hoock now sankalp here i come

19 MonopolyHQ September 21, 2009 at 9:51 am

feel free to post constant annoying threats here. and yes, the leaderboard is horrible. if hasbro doesn’t do something i’m hoping someone develops a better extended ranking system outside of the game

20 wew_at_twitter September 20, 2009 at 7:05 pm

real strategy is to find streets that worth over $10,000,000…
By the 4th day, I will be able to afford the $30,000,000 (30X profit) street!
Using differential equations via vector calculus helps a lot…

and of coz….the help of javascripts makes life easier..

21 MonopolyHQ September 21, 2009 at 9:52 am

Yeah, let me know when you find those $10 million dollar streets! i’m sure they’re still out there, but they’re rare. I should’ve jotted them down when I was stumbling across them with only $3million the first day

22 On Vacation September 21, 2009 at 12:40 am

I think it’s hard to find the longer, expensive streets. They don’t show up on my “buy” list unless I have the map at a certain place on the street, somewhere around the middle. They’ve broken up a lot of streets and highways into more than one section, so it’s difficult to find where the street begins and ends in order to locate the middle. I just have to scroll and scroll until I hit it lucky. Is there a better way? How on earth do you find a $30 M street?

23 MonopolyHQ September 21, 2009 at 9:53 am

I’ve yet to find a better way… look at the zoomed out map for areas where there appear to be lots of long streets. zoom back in and check the buy list. People don’t seem to be sharing their finds much, understandably.

24 wew_at_twitter September 21, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Nha…the best way to find street finding is to trace highways….

One portion of United State HWY 2 worth $42million ~and US HW 6 worth 27/14/11/9/.etc. millions for different portions…

well..too bad they are brought….

The 42 mil street is by MONOPOLIS one of the cheaters….

25 Omfg September 27, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Omfg this one person has like 10 accounts and keeps sabotoging me!!! Let’s team up on him !!!

MTM080404
MTM08040404
MTM0804040
MTM0804040404 (main)

26 MonopolyHQ September 28, 2009 at 9:01 am

I wish the game moderators would just take care of every cheater… but till then… let’s all get those cheaters – now we’ve got targets.

27 Omfg September 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Ur right, there’s more of us the them

28 Scion September 29, 2009 at 3:57 am

The unfortunate thing about cheaters,,,,,is well that they have already shown no compulsion not to cheat….which means that there is nothing stopping them from turning there attention to you.

Unfortunately if you come under the attention of a multi-account cheater trying to ‘get’ their multi’s is a waste of time….so you hazard them….so what the cheater can just create a bunch more, and transfer the funds around using any level 3 account.

If you do want to get even then your only real hope is to try and identify their main account….or the account that has the motst invested in it…..and then hit it in a lightening raid. Im not convinced that hazards are all that effective although although at the very least i suppose they do take up real-estate. What i think is probably more effective is to go after the expensive buildings….trying to destroy stored wealth…..but then again this is a loosing batle as well since a multi can generate wealth k.N times faster than you anyway (N being the number of ‘main’ accounts and k a multiplier dependant on how much farming of minor accounts theyre doing)

The only strategy that i can see is to hope that the multi that is targeting you is not local or interested in a particular street and start a new account and trasfer all your assets to the new one, and let the old one die (this could be considered cheating under the strictest interpretation of the rules- 1 account per player, but i would argue what is intended is one active account per player, in which case you are ok…this is another reason why a delete account option should be available)