Rent Calculator – Is your next street worth it?

by MonopolyHQ on September 23, 2009 · 30 comments

calculatorHere’s a very rudimentary rent calculator in excel (xls) format.

I was going to make a nifty online form, but I figure it would be a lot more useful if everyone had their own hard copy to track their progress rather than re-entering all the values.

It’s very basic, and a pre-teen could come up with it. All it does is take into account the current value of all your streets, the percentage point you’d be at, and what your net income would be should you purchase the next street (you’ll have to estimate your earnings on it since you haven’t purchased it yet).

Anyhow, it should be useful. I find after 18-19 streets, depending on how much you’re valued at it becomes questionable whether it’s worth buying anymore.

Monopoly City Streets – Rent Calculator

I’m sure there are other ‘tools’ (not of the cheater type) available out there – have you made or found anything useful? (what I’d really love is a script to auto-populate my streets if i’ve got enough cash, my wrist is starting to hurt).

{ 1 trackback }

Monopoly City Streets - Tools, Scripts, and Plugins
September 29, 2009 at 9:53 am

1 Anonymous September 23, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Why not just make this a web app? Couple little fields with javascript so people can punch in the street info and get all the data spit back out at them here rather than downloading and having to use some online app since not everyone has access to Excel still.

What information does this do, and what calculations (show your math), and I or many others will be glad to make an online rent calculator for you.

2 Brian September 23, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Or you could do it as a Google Documents spreadsheet and share it

3 MonopolyHQ September 23, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Hey folks, thanks for the tips. Only thing is if it’s an online form you’ll need to clear your data each time, or if it’s an all-access google spreadsheet you’ll have to clear the last person’s data.

If you have your own copy, in whatever form, at least you can keep the values of the streets you already own. ie. the calculation simply goes like this (just like the ‘current’ rules)

- list all your existing streets and rental return value an total it
- after 5 streets add 3% tax per street and subtract that total from your rent total to get your net earnings

if you’re purchasing your next street, you can estimate the street value and see if the tax starts causing your net return to go down or up. Fairly straight forward, but a bit hard to describe in writing.

actually just made a google spreadsheet out of it… you’ll need a google/gmail account, you’ll have to edit your own values, probably best if you ‘save as a copy’ on your own google docs folder

4 Catchmeifyoucan September 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm

you need to make the spreadsheet public because when i click on the link it says I do not have permission to view the document. I have a ton of things on google docs, including my very own person spread sheet for this game along with all my school work

5 MonopolyHQ September 23, 2009 at 11:25 pm
6 Catchmeifyoucan September 24, 2009 at 12:50 am

that works thanks. I also have a question, I dunno how to figure it out but… I have just been filling up my streets and trying to get as many chance cards as possible so just been buying the $50K houses. My question is how many of then do you have to demolish for a $500K building and is it even beneficial?? Right now I am getting a 1:1 ration, whatever i put in i get in return. I am racking my brain with so many numbers I am delirious. Please help

7 MonopolyHQ September 24, 2009 at 8:55 am

Best bet is to try to correlate that data with the building footprint data listed here – http://monopolyhq.com/2009/09/building-type-breakdown/

let me know if you come up with something everyone can use

8 Catchmeifyoucan September 24, 2009 at 11:23 am

Seems like if your like me and have been building all the $50K houses to fill up your street and get as many chance cards as possible then when your streets are full you’ll be looking to maximize your rent value. The only thing I have figure out is for every (4) $50K green houses it opens enough space for the for (1) Grid Building at $500K purchase price with $450K income rent along with (1) Nova Tower or (1) Polyhedron Plaza. With my spread sheet and the data found on the net anything costing more then the Grid Building you loose too much in return for what you spent, and they start taking up too much room on the streets. If there is anything I missed, or this is wrong please let me know, or us, so we don’t waste the time and hard earned cash.

Also if you want I can try and sent you and empty copy of my spread sheet for you to examine and see if it worth uploading for others to keep track of

9 Anonymous September 24, 2009 at 4:50 am

As many times as you have to sell and upgrade streets as is, I don’t figure anyone to have one longer than a day or so anyway. I don’t use the google stuff, but thanks anyway. You CAN make an online form that saves data if you have a website that allows use of a database, or lets you update a file to store the data based on IP address. web-based forms are real easy when you really don’t have to worry about security issues for something this small. Again thanks for the work on the calculator.

10 MonopolyHQ September 24, 2009 at 4:22 pm

catchmeifyoucan – i think there will come a point where you purchase buildings besides grid buildings. I know most buildings up to that offer a 90% or so return, but i think the grid’s one of the largest footprint buildings.. so if you’re trying to avoid or minimize tax, at some point the best way to grow revenue will be to upgrade to denser buildings for a higher overall daily turn.

and yeah, would love to see the spreadsheet you made!

11 Catchmeifyoucan September 24, 2009 at 5:50 pm

How do i email or send you my spread sheet. Would love to have your feed back on things to add or look at

12 Catchmeifyoucan September 24, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Then what would you suggest as a good layout to start with. I know my current thing of $50K buildings isn’t going to cut it once my streets are full. I already have 8 streets and thats enough for me for now. Any suggestions?

13 MonopolyHQ September 25, 2009 at 10:39 am

you can email info@monopolyhq.com

In terms of laying out, it’s been really fluctuating with me. It depends on how much cash and time I’ve got. I’ve been switching straight to grid if i’m out of time.

But typically I’ve been adding green houses until I acquire at least one bonus for that street, and then I’ve been switching to a combination of poly/grid depending on how the cones on the street are laying out for better density.

14 Catchmeifyoucan September 28, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Did you get the email with the spread sheet?

15 MonopolyHQ September 28, 2009 at 2:29 pm

just got your email – sorry don’t check that one all the time since it’s not my primary account – i’ll check it out

16 Krato September 24, 2009 at 4:30 am

I think that I can make an app :D in .net or in php !

17 uvok September 24, 2009 at 5:38 am

Hey, really nice one.
Just one thing: Is it possible to put a “blocked” flag into the spreadsheet (maybe a bool value)

When somebody build a prison or similar on ur street, the tax is zero, of course. So you don’t have to write the tax income of the street to 0 when somebody builds such a building.

(sry. 4 my bad english, hope u can understand what I mean…)

18 MonopolyHQ September 24, 2009 at 8:54 am

If anyone else can make a .net or php app, or something that creates a flag or saves form data, go for it! that spreadsheet’s about the extent of my abilities at the moment. Let me know if you do, and I’ll be sure to list it up here!

19 Annie September 24, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Thanks for the tool :)
I wanted to ask, is tax imposed on the FIRST 5 streets you buy, or just 5 streets.. i.e. if you have 6 streets, and sell off the 3rd street you bought will you still be taxed on the 6th street you bought? Do you read me?

20 Catchmeifyoucan September 24, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Tax only occurs on the streets you are currently holding. If you are holdin 6 streets then you will be taxed for 1 street. If you are holding 5, but over the course of play have bought and sold 20 streets, you are only taxed for the current streets you have possession of. Hope this helps

21 Scion September 25, 2009 at 7:50 am

19 Buildings is the mos tprofitable …go above that and you start reducing your overall income.

However even with less than 19 streets when purchasing a new street it is important that you make sure that you are able to bring its expected income up above 3% of your next expected total pre tax income otherwise on the next rollover you will pay more in tax than you made from the street.

Conclusions from my analysis are here http://monopolycitystreets.ning.com/profiles/blogs/scions-tip-9-net-income-is

22 mcsCoder September 26, 2009 at 5:03 am

I think I could write a program that (mostly) automatically fills streets with buildings. It would be a macro that analyzes the color of the pixels on the screen and automatically moves the mouse and clicks. You’d probably have to set the location of the button for scrolling through the different buildings and tell the program which building you want to have. I’ll see how it works best.
I don’t need it yet, so I probably won’t take the time to program this until I see a necessity for myself, but maybe I’ll do it before I need it – when I’m bored.

23 MonopolyHQ September 27, 2009 at 3:18 pm

that would be awesome, let me know if you come up with something!

24 Radhesh November 3, 2009 at 5:52 am

Hello Friends,

I m a new player of Monopolycitystreets and would like to know that is there any tool or something like it….that can get the data from my profile to an excel sheet….the data like Name of Street, Value of Street, Rental of that Street, Total Rental Earnings, Net Worth, etc…..

25 Radhesh November 3, 2009 at 5:52 am

And Secondly i have seen the excel file that is been attched in this post…thats really awesome…..

26 Radhesh November 3, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Dear Friends,

I have Seen the orginal file which was attached to this post…
And Made Slight change i.e it Highlights the ROW from which ur Net Revenue is Falling

The Link is as Follows:

27 mcs-stats November 6, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

We just created a tool that allows you:

- View initial streets value.
- Rent.
- Next day income.
- Taxes calculation.
- # Bonuses / Hazards
- More coming…

You can find it @ http://mcs.vertigoproject.net

Hope it helps you on having a good strategy,

Greetings,

28 Radhesh November 7, 2009 at 12:36 am

mcs-stats has done good and i would like to thank them….but i would like to ask u that if i own more than 38 property then would i taxed at 100 % or More than 100 %……

29 ramadan gifts ideas July 27, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Have you ever considered about adding a little bit more
than just your articles? I mean, what you say is important and all.
Nevertheless just imagine if you added some
great visuals or video clips to give your
posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent
but with images and videos, this website could definitely be one of the
greatest in its field. Superb blog!