Pre-Launch Game Strategy

by MonopolyHQ on September 16, 2009 · 15 comments

The word is now officially out that the game will be resetting. Here’s how to start the plans for building your empire before the game even starts again.

1. The game goes down THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 17 at 15:00 GMT. This means you’ve got another day to search, experiment, and fiddle around with the game before it’s for real. Get familiar with everything – buying, selling, bulldozing, friending, negotiating, etc.

2. Plan your initial streets. It’s confirmed you’ll still have 3 million to start with. I highly doubt any of the mapping will change at the re-launch. Plan on ignoring your favorite local street that hasn’t made it on to the map yet.

3. Remember your first street purchase will equate to your start page and ‘local’ leader board. This may be critical to your game play going forward. People often bulldoze and hazard whoever is on their local leader board – if you pick some obscure town, you could avoid this – However, you may deprive yourself of any glory at all as you’ll be the real estate mogul of nowhereland.

4. I know everyone complains about how the streets are all taken, but I can still find PLENTY of $1 million dollar streets in entire clusters. These might be good untouched starting places early in the game, or you can grab what’s hot and keep them in mind for mid-game purchases.

4. Now might be a great time to start alliances as well. Get your friends and family on the game – Just be careful it could get nasty if things get tight. Because the game has no private messaging system its a bit hard to form alliances with those you don’t know. You can go ahead and comment on this blog or other fan sites to find people interested in partnering, or just committing not to trashing each others stuff.

5. Unless your alias means a lot to you, if you’ve been a prick so far in the game, you might want to consider this a fresh start for you and your enemies. Change your name if you’ve got bad history.

6. Game time. From what I understand according to the official blog and twitter, they will NOT be announcing an official launch time. This is to avoid massive initial server overload. So your best estimate would be to use their official offline time – THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 17 at 15:00 GMT – translate it to your local time and add 12 to 24 hours for their anticipated reset time, as a big approximation. ie. For American EST the official launch could be in the range of Thursday September 17th 11pm to Friday September 18th 11am, and give or take 6 hours.

Make sure you browse other posts and tips on this site if you’re new to it all. Also see our ‘technical tips‘ if their servers are getting hammered hard.

Do you have other last minute pre-game tips?

1 MrMogul September 16, 2009 at 10:13 am

I’ve been playing Monopoly City Streets for over a week and I think I’ve found a few good strategies:

1. I like buying up as many streets as possible in the beginning. This gives you more room to build on later and makes you less vulnerable to saboteurs.

2. Also, I think building more smaller buildings rather than 1 large building is usually safer. People like to destroy or hazard the huge, expensive buildings they see. Also, it seems that in general, building more buildings gives you more opportunities to get Chance cards.

I’d also like to mention that if anyone is looking for something to do while the servers go down, there is a great game that has some similarities with Monopoly City Streets called Parallel Kingdom.

It’s free for the iPhone, iPod Touch and I think Android phones too. You play on a Google Map and claim territory like MCS. It’s a role-playing game, and it is actually way more addicting. Check it out, and if you’re in Madison, WI look me up!

2 MonopolyHQ September 16, 2009 at 10:38 am

Mey MrMogul – my only issue with buying too many streets is their rental return value without property is only 1/10 of the value. That’s why I think having a balance of a few streets with decent property might be best to start with. though i hear you on having room to grow later and sabotage.

and absolutely on point 2 with the small buildings and chance cards!

3 MindObserver September 16, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Is there any point to trading? In real Monopoly, getting a cluster of streets makes them much more valuable and enables you to build. In Monopoly City Streets, there is zero advantage to having two connected streets rather than two streets miles apart.

So getting a particular street has no value beyond vanity. It will be worth just as much to me as it is to the current owner, so how can we ever make a deal that leaves us both happy?

4 MonopolyHQ September 16, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Really good question MindObserver – there’s no real power currently in clustering. And good point about the value of trades as well beyond vanity – this is something I’m really hoping they change up in the new release!

5 Mark Lane September 16, 2009 at 5:25 pm

If you want your street on the map add it yourself at

This is the map they are using which can be updated by anyone. Maybe it will be updated by the restart. Its part of the Wiki group.

6 MonopolyHQ September 16, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Thanks Mark, will check it out.

7 jonas2 September 16, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I saw this site http://www.citycheat.info that says it gives unlimited money to ur account, wtf?

8 MonopolyHQ September 16, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I hadn’t seen that… I’m committed to keeping the game clean and only sharing ethical strategies here. Cheaters ruin the entire thing for everyone. I hope they close every loop hole possible before the reset.

might want to notify the official blog about it, just so they know.

9 Brian September 16, 2009 at 7:50 pm

One strategy I have been following is waiting until right before payday to do your turns. Especially at the beginning of the game when money is tight, I think most players play until they are broke and wait until the next payday time. If you wait until about 15 mins or so before payday, do your turns, build hazards etc, then you can prevent an opponent from collecting rent for that payday. Also gives you a chance to clear hazards from your streets right before payday.

10 MonopolyHQ September 16, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Hey Brian – that is an excellent tip. I was doing that just because it happened to be around the time I would play anyways, and it can be a definite advantage. Only thing is that I find the better ranked you are on the leaderboard early on, the bigger target you are all day for everyone else’s bulldozing.

11 W.Tucker September 17, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Any new strategy ideas since the sudden inclusion of tax?? This should be interesting – the goal now will be to find LONG streets with MANY cones and develop the hell out of the few you pick…

12 MonopolyHQ September 18, 2009 at 1:11 am

W.Tucker – very good point about the cones. Because I’ve come across many million dollar streets that you would assume have lots of space, but have very little buildable property space.

13 MindObserver September 18, 2009 at 5:50 am

My strategy is to invest everything in one street on the first day. Then log in every day to collect rent and amass a hundred million dollars over the next month.

After that, I’ll go on a buying spree picking up all the cheap roads I can find. $100,000,000 will get me at least two hundred roads shorter than $500,000. Then I’ll just sit back and laugh when the IRS tries to tax me 600% of my income. Maybe I’ll break their calculators and they’ll give me a 500% bonus by mistake.

14 MonopolyHQ September 18, 2009 at 9:45 am

hilarious – from what I can tell according to the official twitter is that they’ve already accounted for any weird tax loopholes though. let me know how it goes!

15 CityStreets September 22, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I found a strategies that might help . Here’s one .
1.At the beginning buy a few valuable streets to get you started . Then buy some cheaper streets you don’t really need . Then you earn more money to build your more valuable streets up . And once you are in a real emergency or just need money then sell the streets that aren’t valuable . Now you have Easy Cash to build.