Gameplay tips early on

by MonopolyHQ on September 21, 2009 · 7 comments

By third or fourth day depending on your chance cards and the number of enemies you’ve acquired, you should be pulling in $4-12 million dollars on two to three streets.

Since you don’t have to worry about tax yet, there’s basically two things you can do at this point. Build revenue for the next day through more houses / cottages. Or spend that bling on a premium $5-8 million dollar street. I’d lean towards the latter option.

If you find a really hot street that you’re just a couple million shy of (and you’ve got another street you can generate at least a few million on) don’t be afraid to flip it. You can stay low, load up the street the next day and get a 5-10x return on your investment, every day going forward.

High end streets are totally worth sacrificing for as long as you’re not stuck with no income being generated the next day. Streets without houses only earn one-tenth of the street value in rent – so if you need to put a bonus building down somewhere, protect you’re existing income generators.

We’ll be posting some more advanced tactics soon as well.

1 Top Hat Cat September 21, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Here’s a good tip: If you street is loaded with Hazards, placing a single Bonus building will allow you to collect rent. Even more sneaky, if you place that bonus building 2-3 minutes before rent is caculated (15:00 GMT) you can almost guarentee that you’ll get rent for the next day. This becomes very important when you have a 10M+ street and the rent is in 9 figures.

Enjoy!

p.s make sure to log in a soon as you can after 15:00 GMT, you collect your rent when you log in for the first time that day, not at 15:00 GMT.

2 MonopolyHQ September 21, 2009 at 9:05 pm

yup, I was just about to post on that ‘tip’ as well… except with the new rule change… argh.

3 c September 22, 2009 at 9:34 pm

To clarify, rent is calculated at 0:00 GMT (midnight greenwich mean time) 7pm CST.

I was having trouble clearing a hazard from one of my streets before that deadline, so I just stayed logged in until I was able to clear it… logged back in at about 0:15 GMT and got my rent for the street on the daily payout!

4 On Vacation September 21, 2009 at 8:13 pm

They’ve now changed the rent with a value cap, so our plans to buy very expensive streets are no longer valid. I sold buildings to the bank last night from one street and put new buildings on a bigger street so I could get more rent, but I didn’t get the rent I was expecting. Now there’s nothing to do except max out the $75 K buildings on my existing streets. Those and the $50 K buildings return 100% of their value; the others pay less.

5 MonopolyHQ September 21, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Yeah, that’s going to be the alternative strategy – but as for now, let’s all bother the official team to get that rule changed back!

6 Catchmeifyoucan September 21, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Yes. I stayed up til last night working on a spread sheet with all the different rent values to fine out not that the 50K houses give you 50K in rent. What a waste of time last night. I guess I brushed up on my excel skills a little and learned a few things. I kind of liked it the other way. I was generating a ton more rent the other way. I logged on tonight and was very disappointed to see I was only receiving half of what was expected. Oh well, I’ll keep buying and selling

7 MonopolyHQ September 21, 2009 at 9:06 pm

it’s a bit ridiculous. I just posted on it. let’s try to all get on their case as much as we can to get the rules fixed. I was hoping for some rule changes, but this is a major step backwards.