Advanced Tactics & Tips

by MonopolyHQ on September 25, 2009 · 14 comments

Hopefully by this point in the game your streets are resilient enough to withstand some demolitions and attacks, and you’re rolling in millions. Here’s some more advanced and nuanced tips that might give you some extra edge currently.

- Negotiations not responded to in seven days are automatically accepted. If you’ve got some time on your hands make several ridiculous offers to players with valuable property but likely inactive. ie. not anyone on the leaderboard, look for popular zones in cities where people got in one early action, but gave up (understandably) with the issues in the game. You might get a great exchange in seven days. You might have another week before their accounts are deleted completely.

- Long roads you might not expect to be free in major cities may actually be available as cheaters who owned some hot property are deleted and streets are being re-released for sale.

- Find some long streets with really interesting cone placement – where they’re not even on the indicated street – Sometimes you’ll notice after you fill up a street, it’ll still say there’s some room for a small building – find that spot, it’s likely quite hidden. But if it’s hard for you to find, it’ll be even harder for those wanting to demolish your bonus building to destroy.

- Cluster your bonus buildings – This just makes you psychologically an unappealing target. If another player instantly sees you’ve got at least three bonus buildings on a street they’ll known that they likely can’t take away your rent value for the day with their chance cards that day.

- There are long streets out in nowhere land still, but highways are still available. Follow the highways – sometimes they’re broken into different pieces as they cross different regions.

- Be strategic about when you log in. If you’re on or near the leader board, logging in early may instantly increase your score and make you a target for the rest of the day. A lot of people are suggesting that you log in right before the rent is calculated for the next day so you can fix up your streets – which is generally a good idea. But depending on your situation, if you’ve got some unprotected streets and you’re not on the leaderboard – it might be a good idea to log in, just to collect your cash before more damage happens in the day, and then log in again to fix everything up before the next payout.

Got other advanced tips or strategies?

1 MindObserver September 26, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Any advice on how to protect cash? I pulled in $60M yesterday. Spent $20M on three roads; I didn’t really need the space but they have sentimental value. Then I lost 90% of the rest of my cash to those damn accountant chance cards. So I had to sell two of those streets just to have enough cash to build out the third.

Tomorrow I was thinking of buying some expensive buildings just to reduce the chances that I’ll get a penalty before I spend my cash. But the buildings that cost more than $1M have horrible rates of return. Or I could bid on some expensive streets to put my cash in limbo until the offer is accepted or rejected.

2 MonopolyHQ September 27, 2009 at 3:20 pm

yup, i’ve been throwing some cash away on expensive cards as well early, just to avoid a huge tax grab through a chance card. i’ve heard of some people using a ‘banking’ method.. you can search it online, but i haven’t followed up on how legitimate it is yet

3 MindObserver September 27, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I consider ‘banking’ to be cheating. It’s like handing your brother $2000 as you round GO in case you’re going to land on the 10% tax spot. It might not be explicitly forbidden in the rules, but any 6-year-old knows it’s not right.

Today I tried a more honest variant with considerable success. As soon as I collected my rent, I made generous offers on one street from most of my local leaderboard competitors:

1) It tied up my cash to save me from accounting errors. As bids were rejected throughout that day, I got it back a little at a time and didn’t lose ANY to Chance cards today.

2) It forged good will with my competitors, so that hopefully if they choose to hazard somebody on the leaderboard they’ll leave me alone.

3) I might get some nice streets. So far I only got a minor one, but its rent is valuable enough to keep until I get into a higher tax bracket.

Tomorrow I’ll try packaging one of my own streets with each trade offer so that I don’t accumulate too many streets.

4 Cristan September 26, 2009 at 3:27 pm

When I build a bonus building, I usually build 2 green houses right next to it (and build my street completely full), so when the bonus buildings are gone, there sometimes still isn’t place for a jail etc.

5 MonopolyHQ September 27, 2009 at 3:22 pm

hrm.. that’s a really interesting subtle tactic! thanks for sharing that one… i think it may depend on the type of bonus building that was removed as well in terms of spacing.. ie. a school takes up a smaller footprint than a stadium

6 jsper September 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Good point. Thanks for sharing that tactic.

7 Veejay Burns September 27, 2009 at 6:33 pm

My tactical advise would be to stay off the radar! Here’s how to: Your Guide to Monopoly City Streets

8 MonopolyHQ September 28, 2009 at 9:00 am

Just re-posted your entry – thanks Veejay!

9 Glim October 12, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Hello,

After making the offer, I realized my offer was not updated to the street I made but the my M money had been deducted. It happened to 3 different streets and I wonder did other players experiencing the same problem.

10 TJ October 13, 2009 at 1:38 am

I think that’s probably a common problem. It happened to me too a couple of weeks ago, so just give it a day and it should fix itself.

11 Martin October 13, 2009 at 3:03 am

The yellow maximum offer box just is broken. Usually the recipient sees the offer in his list anyways.

12 Mike October 14, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I am selling long and very long streets (above 1 Millions).
As they are quite difficult to find I think a little paypal contribution may be nice.

I am asking for:
1-2 Millions -> 2$
2-3 Millions -> 5$
3-4 Millions -> 10$
4-5 Millions -> 15$
5-6 Millions -> 25$
7+ Millions -> 50$

For info you can get me at this mail address: michelelole (at) gmail.com

Thanks and have fun!

13 Martin October 14, 2009 at 1:22 pm

What a ripoff, I’ll sell you streets at half the price :D

Alternatively just buy them with Monopoly money from me over at http://marketpoly.fridaycode.org/offers.php?username=barfoo

14 Mike October 14, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Anybody can try to find them free or to make the money to buy them…
Then they may consider my offer ;)

Anyway, in case I will hire you! XD